DVLA MOT & TAX Exemption Questions Answered

Is my vehicle exempt from vehicle tax?

You do not need to pay vehicle tax if your vehicle was built before 1 January 1980. (If you do not know when your vehicle was built, but it was first registered between 1 and 7 January 1980, you do not have to pay vehicle tax.) If your vehicle was built after this date, up to 31 December 1980, you will need to wait until 1 April 2021.

How do I apply for vehicle tax exemption?

Apply at a Post Office that deals with vehicle tax. You need to take:

  • The log book (V5C) in your name
  • Your vehicle tax reminder letter (V11), if you have one
  • A MOT certificate that’s valid when the tax starts, or evidence if your vehicle is exempt from an MOT test (DVLA form V112 has more information)
  • An insurance certificate or cover note (only in Northern Ireland)

What happens next?

  1. The Post Office sends your log book to DVLA.
  2. You’ll get a confirmation from DVLA within 10 working days that the change has been made.
  3. DLVA will send you an updated log book within 4 weeks.  You can still use your vehicle while your application is being processed.

Is my vehicle exempt from MOT?

Please refer to the following link: https://fbhvc.co.uk/mot-exemption-information

If your vehicle (car/motorcycle) has not been substantially altered within the last 30 years according to the Department of Transport Guidance it will be exempt from MOT. However, it is your responsibility to ensure it is kept fully roadworthy.

How do I exempt my vehicle from MOT? (cars/motorcycles)

If your previous MOT has expired, you only need to declare your vehicle as MOT exempt at the point of taxation in one of the following two ways:

  • Visit your Post Office with a completed V112 form (link below) (https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/737342/v112-declaration-of-exemption-from-mot.pdf)
  • Or tax your vehicle online. https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax

All post 1960s vehicles will show an extra tick box for you to check to exempt your vehicle, whereas pre 1960s vehicles will not.

Join our newsletter

Keep up to date with our latest news!

Legislation & Fuel
Heritage & Culture
Museums & Archives
Trade & Skills
Contact Us

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we will assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on our website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time.